157. Sticking out bits . . .

I'm pruning my fruit trees at the moment - apples and pears. It's part science, part art and involves numerous decisions and contemplations. Usually, I like to have a night's sleep in the middle to let my subconscious have a go too.

At the NFG (Northern Fruit Group) session last week there was a useful tip to distinguish between the two types of buds. Fruit buds (which become the apples and pears) are 'sticking out bits' whereas growth buds are far more streamlined. So, if you are pruning a lateral for growth, then cut to an outward facing growth bud, and if no more growth is required, then cut back to a decent sticking out bit.

Well, it helped me!



The photo is of a russett which was here when we arrived - I have lopped the top third of the tree off, and I have pruned the bottom two-thirds (which I can reach) to fruit buds. Hopefully!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?