277. More mushrooms . . .

I've been strimming the orchard and after a week at it (on and off) I found my reward.

A second fairy ring of St George's mushrooms. So-called because they are meant to pop up on St. George's Day. Up here they are always a month or so late. Our first ring is under the horse chestnut tree and has supplied us with mushrooms since we got here.

However, we now have a second supply. This second ring straddles the fence line of the orchard which is close to the Cottage.


After finding them I dug out all my mushroom books and checked their identity. Although there is not much to confuse them with at this time of year I only nibbled some that evening. However, I got up the next day and picking has now begun in earnest.

I pick them, slice them and dry them on top of the boiler. They then keep in jars for years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?