312. Standard Gooseberries

Grafting time for top fruit is approaching but grafting time for gooseberries is right NOW!

A few years back I saw a standard gooseberry in the orchard of a country hotel outside York. It was the shape of a lollypop and growing above a carpet of flowers.

I struck upon a plan.

Last year my friends at NFG supplied me two golden currants which are ideal to graft gooseberries onto. I planted them in the garden and this year I re-sited them into the strawberry beds. The idea is to have easy-to-pick gooseberries growing above a bed of strawbs.

Should look good and make best use of space and sun.

Grafting is the same as top fruit.

We shall see!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?