352. Fishing in a barrel

We've had an owl barrel in the garden for some years now, nailed there by the local raptor group. We're always hopeful at this time of year for a pair of nesting tawny-owls.

In January we got quite excited because there seemed to be movement in the entrance of the barrel. We could see new nesting material. Which was a bit odd because owls don't take in their own material. We had to supply it!

The answer was spotted by Sarah at the weekend. A rather fat squirrel climbing out and scampering away up the sycamore tree.

So, yesterday, I decided on action.

I geared up. I put on my bee-keeping gauntlets, then on top I pulled on our coal gloves. Then I carried  a squirrel trap and a ladder across the lawn. I set the ladder against the tree.

Squirrels pack a nasty bite. Was my tetanus up to date?

I climbed up the ladder and peered inside. The barrel was 3/4 full of dry leaves. Poking out of the top was a bob of grey tail.

I shoved in a hand and grabbed. A bit of a struggle but I had it. Then a second face appeared! Also a bit dozy. I shoved in a second hand. I grabbed. I had two squirrels!

I reversed down the ladder, a squirrel in each hand, and dropped them in the cage.

The coal gloves are now back by the wood burner, the squirrels are in the freezer, and we're hoping once again for tawny-owls to use a very comfortable residency.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?