15th September - 100kg plum harvest...

For completeness, I am including in my blog, my two recent snapshots of a day in the life at Farlands. I wrote this one on the 15th September.

Yesterday was a full on day - washing, chutney, mowed grass, weeding and installation of 2 turkeys. As well as harvesting from veg garden, and continuing the plum processing & storage!

We have had PV installed, and now like to complicate life around it - so yesterday (best day for PV since installation) I ran as many machines as possible (washing, oven, extractor, hob; it coped well)!

Veg garden going well. I try to weed a bed a day, and yesterday it was the asparagus bed (thanks Max; 9/11 plants surviving).

We have just got 2 turkeys (for Xmas), Osbourne & Gove. Spent ages making their house but I am not sure now about the whole enterprise. They need food, water and make lots of noise. To be honest, I can't wait to wring their bloody necks!

We are in the middle of the plum harvest. I estimate we have a 100kg tree, and it has been raining plums. We have bottled (2x), frozen, made jam, made chutney. And tried drying - it did not work in the greenhouse! One of many experiments (mostly failures) here! I am now selling them to the Hayfield grocer at 33p a pound!



Our water continues to be a problem - we have been off and on for a week. Buckets again this w/e I think (poor Lizzy & Sam, our guests). And last night was our 1st power cut. Life here is constantly challenging!

But lots of good stuff too. My walnut trees (another experiment; planted from seed) are doing well. My 1st wood bin is full, and my 2nd is getting there!

And Sarah goes to work too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?