36. Topsy-turvy Easter weekend Part I...

We spent Saturday staycationing - long walk, picnic on the hill and back for T and cake in front of a log fire with papers.

We spent most of the walk discussing flora that is good for bees. Top of the pops (my latest research suggests) is blackthorn (sloe), flowering currant and willow. The first two for nectar and willow for pollen. At least, they are some of the earliest sources which help to sustain and build the colony in early Spring when there is not much else. Pollen in particular is vital because otherwise the Queen will not lay brood (new bees), and the colony will dwindle and die out.

We discussed taking cuttings of the various plants we saw on our walk, and when we got home I wished I had knocked on a few doors and sought permission to do so.

As we arrived home, we were surprised to see that we have a large (6 foot high) flowering currant in our garden already!



Sarah and I, Christian and atheist, had different interpretations of this discovery!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?