116. The Frankenpear story (part I)...

Last August (see blog No 60) I was inspired by Seymour's Self-Sufficiency book and tried some 'T' bud grafting. His suggestion was that pear scions can be grafted onto established hawthorn bushes.

So, I acquired some pear scions, some grafting tape and did about 25 'T' bud grafts onto our hawthorn hedge. Sarah perhaps unsurprisingly was a little sceptical, and went as far as to say that she would eat my hat.

Well, she will have to eat my hat.



I am delighted, and a little surprised, to report that 2 buds are doing nicely, and there is hope for a third.

The photo on the left shows an emerging (and growing) pear bud - it is quite different from the surrounding emerging hawthorn buds.

Of course being a top-johnny-banana lawyer Sarah will probably cite some ancient common law (no eating of hats in uplands) or unearth some small-print (only if the hat is made of marzipan) to get her out of the mire.

The title of this blog will become clear in The Frankenpear story, part II.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?