146. Another big hole...

Inspired by my visits to the NFG (Northern Fruit Group) I decided I needed my own tree nursey, and so I have started building one.

This is what they do at NFG (see photo) - a raised bed about a metre or so wide, and with enough room for 2 or even 3 rows of rootstocks. These can then be used for grafting either in March (whip and tongue) or more likely in August (bud grafts).

My rootstocks will be a mixture of:-

1. purchased (a pound or so each)
2. ones I have grown from pips (by way of experiment)
3. cloned rootstocks from a coppiced tree (mine is M25 and will be the first I transplant) (this will be the subject of a further blog)

Below is the rockery that I have had to remove from my new bed!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?