161. Whips and tongues . . .

. . . as in the whip-and-tongue variety (in fact I don't know any other variety).

Yesterday I went on a grafting course at Harlow Carr (Harrogate) and learnt from one of the country's experts.

And this morning I tried to become one of the country's amateurs.

Quick recap: whip and tongue grafts are used to propogate fruit trees in Spring with buds from last year's growth and which are currently dormant.



The pictures show 4 finished trees ready to be planted outside (this afternoon's job). Each one is an apple variety (these are Laxton's Superb and a wilding I really like from Reading (which I am calling 'The Big Purple')) grafted onto MM106 rootstocks. They have been sealed with beeswax (hence the old tin can in the saucepan on the stove.)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?