231. Bees are like buses . . .

At least, they are here at Farlands.

We have had none here (honey bees, that is) since our colony died during the Winter, following the layer workers fiasco (see previous blogs).

Then last week a friend called to ask whether I wanted some bees; the only problem was that he was getting them from another friend and he (my friend) wanted the hive. So, I had to find another hive.

Last Sunday I collected the new colony in its very smart WBC hive - this is a traditional looking hive, and is double layered. It got me thinking that this extra protection from the elements (the cold, but especially the damp) might be the answer for us at Farlands. So, at the moment I have 'borrowed' that WBC hive.

So, that was the first colony. Not without its issues, of course. A new Queen, possibly unmated. Plenty of bees, and plenty of honey. But on my first inspection I could not find any eggs or grubs so the Queen does not look she is laying. The problem of laying workers was, phoenix-like, re-emerging.

The second colony arrived yesterday; along with my friend Julia (or should that be the other way round?). They are now in our national hive alongside the WBC. Her colony does have a laying Queen.


Lots of possibilities and potential for creating at least one, and possibly two, really strong hives.

I hope I'm up to the task!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?