310. Gardening in January?

If you read the Guardian on Saturday, you will know that Alys Fowler removed your guilt for not wanting to venture into the garden this month or in the Winter generally. More harm than good, if you missed it.

I disagree!

Not just because (in this post-truth world) I DISAGREE! I DISAGREE!

I have reasons and arguments which you can consider for yourselves.

My reason for this blog is The Big Job. Winter is the prefect time for Big Jobs precisely because all the smaller jobs - weeding, mowing etc - do not have to be done.

My current construction grande is turning the veg plot into a raised bed using the railway sleepers. I wondered how to secure them all in a way that would not rot or move. I settled on metal rods (see photo) which I bang through the sleepers until they are flush with the surface of the top sleeper. 13mm holes, 12mm rods.


As with many Big Jobs, this Big Job promptly cloned itself as drilling the holes for the rods has become a second Big Job. I have a rechargeable drill and even with 2 batteries I am averaging under one rod a day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?