100. Trouble in the hen house...

It's not all been a smooth ride with the chickens to date. Feed them pellets and collect the eggs is what I signed up for.

Oh no, like most things in long trousers, it is proving a little trickier.


I have blogged before to report a possible disappearance of the brown hen. But, I put that down to doing things on automatic pilot. But no, she went AWOL again. In fact she disappeared last Friday, and I spent a very worrying night wondering where she was.

She turned up in the morning, and refused to say where she had been. I threatened to ground her but did not. And when it was time for us to leave for Cambridge she had disappeared again. So we went away with only two chickens in our hen house.

My hope was that she was playing away in Eva's hen house, and sure enough when we returned Eva told us of our stowaway. Eva put it down to 'the grass is always greener...'

This has all been quite unsettling, especially in light of the loss of our bees.

The brown hen is now back (captured), and confined to barracks for a few days so she understands where she lives. And I am trying to make our grass greeener by making porridge for them. The problem seems to be with leftovers - chickens really like them, but we don't have any!

We have also marked our chickens with yellow leg loops...so if any chickens come to visit you, you will know whether they are KFC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?