7. Stillsons anyone?

A quick quiz (2 questions):- 1. what are stillsons?

a) a pair of pistols (as sported by Eastwood in Pale Rider)
b) a pipe wrench
c) small stiletto heels

Stillsons are in fact a pipe wrench (invented by Daniel Stillson in 1869 in the US), and should be an everyday term of smallholding managers or wannabees.

My Uncle Jim has just been to stay, and amongst a myriad of jobs (more later) we attacked our water issues. Stillsons were necessary and not only did I not know what they were, but every one of my neighbours (irrespective of age or gender) knew exactly what they were. We borrowed 17 sets.
We first attacked the stop cock outside the house, and ended up fitting a new piece of pipe (complete with new olives (not edible ones)). Although this photo shows Jim out of the hole, he spent several hours in it, in the rain and the wind. I acted as chief Stillson-handerer-overer, and I now like to get Stillsons into as much conversation as possible.

But, the real action came inside the house. We have had very poor water pressure in our kitchen tap since our arrival a year ago, and a badly behaving washing machine for several months. There are pipes everywhere in the house, and there is a problem with our spring water causing pinhole leaks in copper pipes.

Jim dug up the kitchen floor and EUREKA he found a leak. Gurgling water, as much as a (normal) tap being half on. Then he re-plumbed it (I now know my speed-fit fittings from my leeks), and we now have a working washing machine, and water pressure in our kitchen tap.
'Where is all the water?' is my 2nd quiz question.

Everyone needs an Uncle Jim. If you have not got one, I'd have a look on ebay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?