153. Could you be self-sufficient? (Part 1) . . .

As some of you will know my aim is to be self-sufficient in fruit and vegetables. I write 'my' aim because although Sarah is keen in principle, actually being self-sufficient requires a disciplined approach for two reasons: -

1. you have to eat almost anything that is edible that comes out of the garden; and
2. you are restricted to a handful of varieties as opposed to the 1001 lines stocked by Tesco.

And we are not even in the so-called Hungry Gap yet, that period in about April which is furthest from the Summer growing season when it is the most difficult to be self-sufficient in fresh produce.



At the moment, things are OK. I am eating sprouts, leeks, kale and purple sprouting. I still have potatoes and apples in cool storage, and a freezer still stuffed with berries, currants and rhubarb (and about 10 runner beans).

And I do buy the odd banana!

Part 2 coming soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?