173. Keeping bees (ie hanging onto them) is not so easy . . .

Having all sorts of problems with our bees. It all went well for about a month, the Queen laying well and the colony growing in size. But then I found some Queen cells (new Queens being developed) which meant that a swarm was likely.

Mistake 1: I squashed the Queen cells (I should have split the colony into two parts (as the bees were trying to do) and have 2 colonies. I thought it was the right thing to do but the bees then did swarm (Sarah saw them go) which meant we lost the Queen and half the bees.

Mistake 2: I squashed the remaining Queen cells as I did not want any more swarms. A VERY bad mistake as I now had a colony without a Queen and without the chance of a new Queen being hatched.

Mistake 3: I went away on holiday for 2 weeks. The solution (if I had been quick and not sunning myself on hol) was to introduce a new mated Queen (bought from another beekeeper). But I was not, so when I got back from holiday I had the problem of laying workers. Some of the worker bees had realised (through pheromones) that there was no Queen present so had started laying eggs, but because they are not mated they can only lay drones (males). I phoned an experienced bee-keeper and he told me the colony was doomed!

The situation now
I did some research and a possible (if v unlikely) solution is to dump all the bees at the end of the garden, and hope that the laying workers do not make it back to the hive. Then introduce a new mated Queen (which I bought on-line and was sent through the post!).



That was ten days ago; today I am going to open them up and see if the Queen (green spot and with No 19 on her back) is alive and laying.

According to one post on the internet I am a bee-squirter, not a bee-keeper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?