46. Under the horse chesnut tree...

...I found some mushrooms. Now, if you know your mushrooms (I don't really, but I have several books - mushrooms is definitely a subject where several sources of info is valuable) then you will know this is quite early and unusual for mushrooms.

I found them in a large fairy ring (perhaps 40 mushrooms) under the tree but growing in the grass. Large (10 cms high, 10-12cms wide), creamy-white, sinuate (gills joining stem with a slight moat), and no ring. To me, they smell, well, mushroomy.


I think they are St Georges mushrooms which are so-called because they fruit (most of a mushroom is underground) on St Georges Day (23 April), and are at their height in May.
So, tonight I am having them for tea!

Hopefully this will not be a posthumous blog. If it is, then for id purposes, I have left one in the fridge.

Update (hopefully) tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

285. Been thinking about my last blog . . .

319. We've got a dog!

73. Stuck for something to read?